Lately, I've been thinking a lot about how well I actually know myself: my likes, my dislikes, the things I believe in, the things I'll never compromise on, and even the little things that can make me smile. And honestly, I feel very blessed to say that I'm so in tune with my emotions, noticing my flaws, my bad habits, and, overall, knowing what makes me Nalecia. I'm still growing, of course! But one big change I've made is to stop trying to fit myself into one certain box; it took me a long time to learn that you don't have to fit one aesthetic, live one lifestyle, have one big dream, or stick to one interest.
I believe the version of social media we have today coerces you into thinking you have to be one thing: you have to look a certain way, talk a certain way, and present yourself a certain way. This causes some individuals to become something they're not at all. I'm tired of people acting or dressing a certain way just because it's a trend or deemed cool by the public. I feel as if most personalities are built on a trend or a specific creator instead of a person's pure brain and imagination. Now, don't get me wrong, having inspirations and muses is normal; everyone has a vision for how they want their lives to look, and people have specific ways they want to dress. But what happened to building off of inspiration, taking pieces from something, and adding them to an idea you already had in your head? I feel as if the concept of an inspiration or a muse has turned into "copy and paste" instead of actual inspiration.
I feel like this is a topic people usually sweep under the rug because MOST people love social media, I love social media, and I am guilty of following some trends, lol. But it's become so normalized to adopt a "social media personality" and flatten yourself into one thing. There are people I know who hide who they truly are because they're terrified their social reputation will be ruined. It's genuinely sad. Most people seem detached from their own unique interests, ideas, thoughts, or feelings, and it hurts to see how social media has affected our society. This topic weighs heavily on my mind because I've experienced it firsthand; I'm not just talking out of my ass, lol. It's a real issue, and honestly, I've had more interesting conversations with my Jellycats than with actual humans lately.
This entire realization inspired me to start my blog. I grew up in the early 2010s, and it was definitely a time: singing "Super Bass" at three years old, rocking out to Paramore with my mom, playing on my Nintendo 3DS, and begging my mom to let me watch that day's episode of Jersey Shore. That's just a glimpse of what I grew up with, which is why nostalgia hits me so hard sometimes. Starting this blog made me think back to TheSlap.com, iCarly.com, and Gossip Girl.
I wanted a space where there's no pressure to be, act, or think a certain way. I want people to visit my blog and feel inspired to create their own. I want you to read my posts and start thinking about the bigger topics no one truly talks about. I want people to share their passions so we can build a community focused on embracing our differences,
a space to speak your mind freely, share your perspective, and have meaningful conversations without fearing judgment for thinking differently. I want this to be a place where we can debate, disagree, and challenge each other's ideas.
a space to speak your mind freely, share your perspective, and have meaningful conversations without fearing judgment for thinking differently. I want this to be a place where we can debate, disagree, and challenge each other's ideas.
Beyond that, having a blog feels so much more authentic to me than a TikTok page or an Instagram account ever could. It feels more intentional, more personal, and truly customized. So I say: wear what you want to wear, act how you want to act, talk how you want to talk, and live as your truest self. Don't let social media stop you from exploring your interests, and most importantly, don't let it stop you from being yourself. There is only one you. Become the "IT GIRL" in your own way.
.jpeg)
.jpeg)

No comments:
Post a Comment